Live Operations Dashboard
Redesigning an enterprise tool to better monitor system performance issues
The Home Depot — Summer 2020
We needed to help Finance IT managers and business partners be faster and more proactive in catching system issues in order to best support the stability of The Home Depot's financial infrastructure.
A live dashboard — a near real-time self-service portal with prioritized information on critical processes and system performance. The new tool would boast updated design patterns and streamlines the presentation of information to be more simple and focused.
The dashboards are now operationally used by both out IT and Business partners to find out the overall health of the financial systems. This helped alleviate the workload of the IT teams, who were involved in multiple other projects and reduced manual monitoring effort by almost 70-80%.
I engaged with the Financial IT community to hear their needs and understand the problems that they encountered while using the previous solution — which consisted of a report that was manually compiled every morning.
- The information was either too detailed, redundant, or irrelevant. A combination of visual clutter, jargon, and undecipherable symbols, in addition to lack of focus in a manager's specific areas of oversight, left users confused at what to do.
- The information was out-of-date. Because the report is sent out once every morning, managers had less visibility of system health into the afternoon and evening — making the information un-actionable.
After a series of sketching and wire-framing, as well as UI iterations with the engineering team, the EUX team (via design critiques), and my mentor, I presented a high-fidelity prototype of a newly redesigned dashboard to executives at The Home Depot.
Due to confidentiality, I will only describe the solution here.
DESIGN SOLUTION FEATURES
- Presents the information in real time.
- Notifies users about emerging issues and problems.
- Streamlines presentation of information to be more simple and more focused. Utilizes visual hierarchy and sequencing to bring attention to the most outstanding issues first.
- Offers information at both a high level view and at a more detailed perspective. One allows for quick digestion and awareness and the other to get to the heart of resolving issues.